Over the last 4 years, Chris Ulmer of Special Books by Special Kids has interviewed thousands of people living with disabilities and cognitive differences. This is everything he has learned about inclusion and mindful teaching:
1. Accept each person as they are in this moment.
2. Be aware of the differences and provide accommodations but focus on our similarities.
3. Presume competence. (Believe in everyone)
4. Positive reinforcement should not be contingent on results.
5. Positive reinforcement should be contingent on effort.
6. Deliver feedback with positivity.
7. Create positive bonds and allow communication.
You can support Chris’ work with Special Books by Special Kids by contributing to https://www.patreon.com/SBSK.
Originally published by Special Books by Special Kids (SBSK)